Google Maps goes offline and adds lane guidance, Uber tips, and saved places
Google Maps being able to access local maps information without a data connection isn't a new feature, but it is one that Google has downplayed before the recent update that makes it much easier to use. In the latest version of Google Maps for Android and iPhone, offline support is just one of many features. You can now tap onto an area of a map and select "Save map to use offline" to return to those maps even when a cellular connection is unavailable.
Other new features include
- Turn-by-turn navigation now displays distance, arrival time, and quick access to alternate routes
- Save and manage offline maps in a custom list for when you're traveling or have a slow connection
- Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options